St. Louis Personal Injury Law Firm Gets Results for You
We ensure your injury accident case is sufficiently investigated
The aftermath of personal injury accidents can be complex. There are frequently multiple witnesses, records and reports involved. At McChesney & Ortwerth, L.L.C., our lawyers meticulously review the circumstances of your accident. We investigate injury accidents, find witnesses and ensure that all relevant documents are obtained. Contact our law firm for a thorough examination of your injury case.
How do attorneys prove fault after an accident?
Proving fault after an accident is essential to obtaining a fair settlement. In order to determine who was at fault after accidents, attorneys generally take the follow steps:
- Investigate the accident – Lawyers ensure that all necessary information is obtained and reviewed after an accident. This includes gathering police reports, work documents, medical records and other materials that provide detailed accounts of what occurred.
- Interview witnesses – Attorneys locate and speak with all individuals who were present when the accident occurred. In a car accident, this could include bystanders or vehicle passengers. After a job site accident, this could mean interviewing co-workers, staff and witnesses.
- Speak to doctors – Health providers have specialized knowledge about the likely cause of illnesses and injuries. Lawyers talk with doctors and health care staff who treated accident victims in order to gain insight into their injury and why it resulted.
- Obtain expert witnesses – Industry specialists are often called upon to opine on injury accidents. These experts review cases and provide their opinion about whether a standard of care, law or duty was violated.
When determining fault after an accident, attorneys will also examine whether any laws or duties were breached. In some cases, it’s clear that a business or individual violated the law or a legally recognized duty of care. For example, a property owner is liable if he or she failed to keep visitors safe or warn them of potential property dangers. Drivers who break traffic laws also are legally responsible if they hit and injure another driver.
There are many benefits of retaining an attorney after an injury accident. Qualified lawyers help build your case and ensure your claim is adequately handled. McChesney & Ortwerth attorneys know the law. We have strong experience dealing with insurance companies and negotiating the best settlement for you situation. Let us obtain the right outcome for your personal injury lawsuit .
What affects a settlement’s value?
Sometimes, rather than a trial, both sides negotiate a settlement. In order to achieve an optimal settlement, your attorney will present a clear picture of the costs associated with your injury accident. Factors that influence a settlement’s value include:
- Medical expenses – Medical costs include bills for past and future medical treatment. Future medical expenses are calculated by estimating the victim’s lifetime needs and life expectancy.
- Disability – If you are permanently altered by an accident, the scope of your disability can affect your settlement. This includes costs such as nursing care and making your home accessible.
- Lost wages – You can no longer earn present and future income because of your injury.
- Funeral expenses – In the event of a death, families may recover for the cost of funeral and end-of-life expenses of their loved one.
- Pain and suffering – This refers to non-monetary damages such as emotional distress, mental anguish and loss of life enjoyment.
Filing a personal injury lawsuit can be scary and confusing when you’re unsure what your claim is worth. McChesney & Ortwerth, L.L.C. knows that injury victims have more on their minds than court battles. When you come to us, we help lift your legal and financial burdens so that you can concentrate on your recovery.
Accident attorneys in Missouri who stand up for injury victims
If you were hurt in a vehicle crash or serious accident, it’s essential that you consult an experienced law firm immediately. The sooner your case is investigated, the sooner you can recover. At McChesney & Ortwerth, L.L.C., we start working on your case within 24 hours. Call our St. Louis accident lawyers today for your free consultation. We can be reached at 314.480.5650 or online . We want to help.